Neil is a Chartered Counselling Psychologist and UKCP registered psychotherapist. He has worked for various psychotherapy organisations since 2003 in both individual and group settings and has experience of working with a diverse range of issues. He provides clinical supervision to practitioners and also teaches on the doctoral training programme at the Existential Academy in Central London.
As well as working in private practice, Neil works with major healthcare providers offering counselling to corporate employees and on-site trauma support to workplace emergencies and critical incidents. He is one of a small team of support therapists for the IPCC Hillsborough Inquiry and is employed as an oncology specialist therapist for people affected by a cancer diagnosis.
Neil conducts therapeutic groups for men living with sex and substance addictions for a sexual health charity in Central London having previously worked for several years individually with people affected by HIV and issues with sexuality at this service.
Prior to embarking upon a career in counselling psychology, he worked in global corporate management settings facilitating organizational and system change. This previous career experience has afforded Neil first-hand experience and substantive understanding of the pressures and demands we can face and how difficult it can be trying to achieve balance between our work and personal lives.
Neil has completed a psychology doctorate specialising in time-limited therapy, a research area in which he has been published:
- Lamont, N. (2012) 'The End in Sight. Engaging with an existential understanding of time when working in time-limited practice' in Journal of Existential Analysis, 23.1.
- British Psychological Society (BPS) Chartered Psychologist: CPsychol
- Member of Counselling Psychology Division of BPS (DCOP).
- UKCP registered psychotherapist
- Registered Clinical Supervisor (RAPPS) - BPS
- Member of Society of Existential Analysis As a member of the above organisations, I adhere to, and am bound by, their codes of ethical practice
- Professional Roles:
- Deputy Programme Leader - Doctorate in Existential Psychotherapy, NSPC Ltd/Middlesex University
- Deputy Programme Leader - Certificate in Existential Coaching, Counselling and Psychotherapy, Existential Academy, London.
- UKCP - member of International Committee
- New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling 20th Anniversary Conference, British Library, July 2016 - invited speaker